Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: The Guildhall, Chard. View directions

Contact: Jo Morris, Case Services Officer (Support Services) - 01935 462055  Email: jo.morris@southsomerset.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

113.

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the Previous Meeting held on 16th January 2019

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 16th January 2019 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

114.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Marcus Barrett and Garry Shortland.

115.

Declarations of Interest

In accordance with the Council's current Code of Conduct (as amended 26 February 2015), which includes all the provisions relating to Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (DPI), personal and prejudicial interests, Members are asked to declare any DPI and also any personal interests (and whether or not such personal interests are also "prejudicial") in relation to any matter on the agenda for this meeting.

Members are reminded that they need to declare the fact that they are also a member of a County, Town or Parish Council as a Personal Interest.  Where you are also a member of Somerset County Council and/or a Town or Parish Council within South Somerset you must declare a prejudicial interest in any business on the agenda where there is a financial benefit or gain or advantage to Somerset County Council and/or a Town or Parish Council which would be at the cost or to the financial disadvantage of South Somerset District Council. 

Planning Applications Referred to the Regulation Committee

The following members of this Committee are also members of the Council's Regulation Committee:

Councillors Mike Best, Angie Singleton and Martin Wale.

Where planning applications are referred by this Committee to the Regulation Committee for determination, Members of the Regulation Committee can participate and vote on these items at the Area Committee and at Regulation Committee.  In these cases the Council's decision-making process is not complete until the application is determined by the Regulation Committee.  Members of the Regulation Committee retain an open mind and will not finalise their position until the Regulation Committee.  They will also consider the matter at Regulation Committee as Members of that Committee and not as representatives of the Area Committee.

Minutes:

Cllr. Sue Osbourne declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 9 – Grant to Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake and Planning Application Nos. 18/00001/FUL and 18/00002/LBC, as the Ward Member.

 

Cllr. Linda Vijeh declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 9 – Grant to Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake and Planning Application Nos. 18/00001/FUL and 18/00002/LBC, as the SCC Ward Member.

 

Cllr. Jenny Kenton declared a personal and prejudicial interest in Planning Application No. 18/01902/REM**, as her sister’s land abutted the application site.  She left the room during consideration of the item.

 

Cllr. Dave Bulmer declared a personal interest in Planning Application No 18/01902/REM**, as a member of Chard Town Council.

 

116.

Date and Venue for Next Meeting

Councillors are requested to note that the next Area West Committee meeting is scheduled to be held on Wednesday 20th March 2019 at 5.30pm at The Guildhall, Chard.

Minutes:

Members noted that the next meeting of the Area West Committee would be held on Wednesday 20th March 2019 at 5.30pm at The Guildhall, Chard.

117.

Public Question Time

This is a chance to ask questions, make comments and raise matters of concern.

Parish/Town Councils may also wish to use this opportunity to ask for the District Council’s support on any matter of particular concern to their Parish/Town.

Anyone wishing to raise matters in relation to items on the agenda may do so at the time the item is considered.

Minutes:

It was agreed that members of the public present would speak at the time the Agenda items would be discussed.

118.

Chairman's Announcements

Minutes:

The Chairman made no announcements.

 

119.

Update on Police and Crime Commissioners Panel pdf icon PDF 37 KB

Minutes:

Councillor Martin Wale summarised his report as outlined in the agenda updating members on the Police and Crime Commissioners Panel.  He made particular reference to the following:

 

·         The annual police budget and the Panel reluctantly agreeing to an increase;

·         100 new police officers will join Avon and Somerset Constabulary paid for by the increase in the policing share of the council tax;

·         The increase would also be spent on Operation Remedy - an exciting high profile policing operation to combat burglary, drugs and knife crime;

·         The Annual Police and Crime Plan would be looked at by the Panel in the next month;

·         Concerns have been made by the Panel in relation to dealing with rural crime.

 

Councillor Martin Wale responded to members questions on points of detail.

 

RESOLVED:

That the report be noted.

 

120.

Promoting Community Safety in Area West - Police Performance and Neighbourhood Policing Update pdf icon PDF 46 KB

Minutes:

Sgt. Rob Jameson from Avon and Somerset Constabulary was welcomed to the meeting.  He gave a short presentation on local issues and initiatives.  Particular reference was made to the following:

 

·         The new pattern of Neighbourhood Policing would give the Beat Managers and PCSOs time to deal with long term problem solving and issues.  It would also benefit better team work and supervision;

·         The role of the 24 hour response team;

·         Mobile ways of working allowing officers to become more visible;

·         Current funding issues;

·         Staff changes in Chard, Ilminster and Crewkerne;

·         Boundary changes on beats resulting in a slight alteration in Ilminster.

 

Sgt. Rob Jameson responded to members questions on points of detail.

 

The Chairman thanked Sgt. Rob Jameson for attending the meeting and providing an informative update. 

 

121.

Grant to Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake (Executive Decision) pdf icon PDF 111 KB

Decision:

RESOLVED:

That a grant of £10,000 be awarded to The Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake, to be allocated from the Area West capital programme and subject to SSDC standard conditions for community grants.

Reason:

To award a grant towards the cost of refurbishing the kitchen and car park improvements at The Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake.

 

Minutes:

The Locality Officer introduced the report which asked members to consider the awarding of a grant towards the costs of refurbishing the new kitchen and car park improvements for The Speke Hall in Dowlish Wake.

 

The Committee was addressed by the Chairman of the Speke Hall Committee.  He explained that the Speke Hall provided a social hub and entertainment facility for the local community and was also used by a number of clubs.  He advised that the current kitchen was very old and a new kitchen would provide cooking facilities at the hall rather than bringing food to the hall.  The car parking area was no longer fit for purpose particularly in unpleasant weather and was in need of improvement.

 

The Ward Member expressed her support for the proposal and advised that the Speke Hall also served Kingstone, Chillington and Cudworth Parish Meetings as well as supporting four communities.

 

Members expressed their support for the application and commented that the Speke Hall was a much needed and well used facility in the local community.

 

Members unanimously supported the recommendations of the report.

 

RESOLVED:

That a grant of £10,000 be awarded to The Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake, to be allocated from the Area West capital programme and subject to SSDC standard conditions for community grants.

 

(Voting: unanimous)

 

Reason: to award a grant towards the cost of refurbishing the new kitchen and car park improvements at The Speke Hall, Dowlish Wake.

122.

Reports from Members on Outside Bodies pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report submitted by Cllr. Carol Goodall updating members on the work of Ilminster Forum was noted by the Committee.

123.

Area West Committee - Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 85 KB

Minutes:

Members noted that the AONB Management Plan would now be considered in April.       

A request was made for an update report on S106 agreements relating to development within Area West.

 

Cllr. Martin Wale advised that it would no longer be necessary to report back on the Making It Local programme as the last meeting was being held the following week.

 

RESOLVED:

That the Area West Committee Forward Plan be noted.

 

 

124.

Planning Appeals pdf icon PDF 64 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members noted the report that detailed planning appeals which had been lodged, dismissed or withdrawn.

 

Cllr. Paul Maxwell expressed his disappointment over the appeal decision at Land at Bullring Farm, Knowle Lane, Misterton.

 

RESOLVED:

That the report be noted.

 

125.

Schedule of Planning Applications to be Determined by Committee pdf icon PDF 88 KB

Minutes:

The Chairman announced that he would be taking the planning applications in the following order: 18/00001/FUL, 18/00002/LBC, 18/01902/REM, 18/03425/FUL.

 

126.

Planning Application 18/03425/FUL - Land At Carters Lane, East Chinnock pdf icon PDF 445 KB

Minutes:

Application Proposal: Erection of two detached dwellinghouses, formation of access and associated works

 

The Specialist – Development Management presented the application as detailed in the agenda and explained that the application was a resubmission of a previous application that had been refused on the grounds of landscape character issues and harm to the setting of the Grade II Listed church.  With the aid of a powerpoint presentation he outlined the application site and surrounding area and referred to the key considerations.  Following refusal of the previous application, pre-application discussions were held with the applicant to negotiate a revised scheme to allow space to the eastern side of the development.  The proposed dwellings were mostly single storey with some one and a half storey sections to the buildings.  The aim of the design was to try and achieve a more informal proposal.  He recommended approval of the application subject to conditions.

 

In response to questions, members were informed of the following:

 

·         The East Chinnock Village Housing Survey was a material consideration and could be given some weight but was not sufficient to be a determining factor. Each proposal should be judged on its individual merits

·         There were no development boundary limits within the Local Plan

·         East Chinnock was considered to be an acceptable location and had a basic range of facilities

·         A small amount of appropriate development was considered acceptable

·         The benefits of providing dwellings in the location was based on housing need regardless of size

·         Key changes to the application from the previous application included single and one and a half dwellings located more to the western side of the plot with an open space to the east.  With the proposed changes the officer did not consider there to be sufficient landscape harm to recommend refusal

 

Ward Member, Councillor Ric Pallister read out the Landscape Officer’s comments submitted in regard to the previous application and commented that policies had not changed since 2016.  He felt that the proposed properties would be an extension into the open countryside and would impact upon the setting of the church and the village.  He was unable to support the application on the same grounds that the original application was refused.

 

During the discussion, some members felt that the application was just as harmful to the landscape character of the area.  It was proposed and seconded to refuse the application on the same grounds as the previous refusal as outlined on page 34 of the agenda report.  On being put to the vote the proposal to refuse the application was carried by 8 votes in favour and 3 against.

 

RESOLVED:

That Planning Application No. 18/03425/FUL be REFUSED contrary to the Specialist’s recommendation for the following reason:

 

01.   The proposal by reason of its siting beyond the established eastern boundary of the settlement would be contrary to the established pattern and layout of development in the area at a variance to local distinctiveness causing harm to the landscape character of the area. Additionally the proposed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 126.

127.

Planning Application 18/00001/FUL - The George, Back Street, Winsham pdf icon PDF 566 KB

Minutes:

Application Proposal: Alterations to include the change of use of ground floor of dwelling (Use Class C3) to a shop/Post Office (Use Class A1) and café (Use Class A1) and café (Use Class A3).  First floor to be ancillary to shop and café use

 

The Specialist - Development Management presented the application as set out in the agenda.  He outlined the application site and the surrounding area and advised that there was an existing shop in the village located to the south of the proposed site on Church Street.  He noted that the main consideration related to highway safety.  He advised that the site consisted of a Grade II listed building and with the aid of photographs outlined the proposed alterations to the ground floor including the proposed location of the post office counter, shop, kitchen, café seating area and hard paved area to the rear of the shop.  He noted that some concerns had been raised with regard to the seating area at the rear of the premises and the proximity to the adjoining property and the potential for noise and disturbance and advised that if members were minded to approve the application this element of the scheme could be conditioned.  The Specialist – Development Management explained that there were significant concerns over the siting of the shop on a five-way junction, no off street parking provision being proposed, lack of visibility for vehicles and pedestrians, the possibility of children crossing the road to get to the shop from the Recreation Ground located opposite and an significant increase in use of the substandard Back Street/B3162 junction.  Another concern related to proposed timber planters along the highway potentially exacerbating the restricted visibility.  He recommended that the application be refused for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

In response to questions, Development Management Officers confirmed the following:

 

·         SCC Highway Authority were content with the application although it could not be confirmed whether they had made a site visit.

·         All the issues associated with the application should be considered not just those relating to highway safety.

·         Clarified that EP15 required an 18 month marketing assessment to be carried out

·         If permission were to be granted on The George and it started a use as a shop,  Policy EP15 would still need to be satisfied but it could be considered that the 18 month marketing assessment wasn’t needed if there was only one shop in the village.

·         The fire exit would be through the main front door of the premises.  The passageway to the side could only be used with permission from the adjoining neighbour.

·         SSDC’s Highway Consultant had the authority to take a different view from SCC Highway Authority to which SSDC would be responsible for defending that view at appeal and any associated costs.

·         The applicant was made aware of the SSDC Highway Consultant’s concerns at the pre-application stage.

·         Use of the site 50 years ago was considered to be too long ago to be relevant to the current issues.

·         The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 127.

128.

Planning Application 18/00002/LBC - The George, Back Street, Winsham pdf icon PDF 511 KB

Minutes:

Application Proposal: Internal and external alterations associated to the change of use of ground floor of dwellings to a shop and café.  First floor to be ancillary to shop and café use.

 

The Specialist – Development Management presented the application.  He advised that the proposal would respect the historic character of the Listed building and the setting of the church and therefore recommended approval of the application.

 

There were no questions from members of the Committee.

 

The Ward Member, Cllr. Sue Osborne expressed her support for the application.

 

It was proposed and seconded to approve the application as per the Specialist’s recommendation.  On being put to the vote the proposal was carried by 12 votes in favour, 0 against and 1 abstention.

 

RESOLVED:

That Planning Application No. 18/00002/LBC be APPROVED as per the Planning Officer’s recommendation for the following reason:

 

01.       The proposed works, by reason of their materials, scale and design would respect the character of the area, would preserve the character of the Listed Building and the Conservation Area and would not harm residential amenity in accordance with Policies EQ2 and EQ3 of the South Somerset Local Plan (2006-2028) and Chapter 12 of the National Planning Policy Framework (2018).

 

SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING:

 

01.       The works hereby granted consent shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this consent.

           

Reason: As required by Section 16(1) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.

 

02.       There shall be no alterations to existing internal doors until details of any alteration have been submitted and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority.

           

Reason: In order to preserve the historic and architectural interest of the listed building to accord with Policy EQ3 of the South Somerset Local Plan (20056-2028).

 

03.       Prior to works commencing on the formation of the new opening to the rear elevation, details of a method statement for the proposed works and details of making good of any structure abutting any of those to be demolished, have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Such approved details, once carried out shall not be altered without the prior written consent of the Local Planning Authority.

 

Reason: In order to preserve the historic and architectural interest of the listed building to accord with Policy EQ3 of the South Somerset Local Plan (20056-2028).

 

04.       Prior to its construction, details of the new extraction equipment, including drawings showing appearance, any boxing in of the flue, method statement and external flue shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. Such approved details, once carried out shall not be altered without the prior written consent of the Local Planning Authority.

 

Reason: In order to preserve the historic and architectural interest of the listed building to accord with Policy EQ3 of the South Somerset Local Plan (2006-2028).

 

(Voting: 12 in favour, 0 against, 1 abstention)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

129.

Planning Application 18/01902/REM - Land North Of Tatworth Road And Adjacent To Forton Road, Chard pdf icon PDF 889 KB

Minutes:

Application Proposal: Reserved matters application for the erection of up to 200 dwellings including access, layout, scale and appearance, landscaping and associated ancillary works

 

(Having earlier declared a personal and prejudicial interest, Cllr. Jenny Kenton left the room during consideration of the application).

 

The Specialist – Development Management advised that following the decision to defer the application last month, a meeting was held with the applicant to allow members to outline their concerns.  He referred to the issues discussed at the meeting and outlined the agreed actions in relation to layout/density, bus stops/shelters and pedestrian/cycle provision, play area/education, garages and phasing of the development.

 

In response to questions, members were informed of the following:

 

·         Confirmed the tarmac links between the site and the bus stop.

·         The applicant had their own management Company who would maintain the green areas.

·         Maintaining the green areas was enforceable.

·         The money requested as part of the legal agreement in relation to education would go towards the provision of a new school.

·         The drainage scheme had been assessed by the Local Lead Flood Authority and conditions imposed relating to long term maintenance and management.

·         The pavements would be adopted by County Highways.

 

The Committee was addressed by one member in objection to the application.  He raised concerns in relation to anti-social behaviour, boundary fencing, lack of highway infrastructure and increase in traffic.

 

The Applicant then addressed the Committee.  Some of her comments included:

 

·         Principle of development already approved.

·         Traffic assessment considered acceptable at the outline application stage.

·         Bus Stops approved with continuous footpath linking the two.  

·         Bus stops would be clear at both ends.

·         Phasing dictated by installation of the infrastructure on the site

·         Secondary access would be brought in from Tatworth Road as soon as possible.

·         Sustainable drainage would be managed by the Management Company.

·         The density in the area adjoining the Wessex Close boundary was consistent with the rest of the site.  The fencing along the boundary has been increased to 1.8 metres.

·         Some of the previously agreed financial contributions would be used to improve facilities at the current play area at Ashcroft.

 

Ward Member Councillor Jason Baker referred to the density and closeness of properties to Wessex Close and noted that there was a good distance between the property boundaries and an increase in the boundary fence and the retention of the hedgerow.  He highlighted that it had been agreed that the bus shelter at Holcombe would be replaced and there would be a new one on the opposite side with a footpath making it safer for people to access public transport.  He was satisfied that the play area in the development was compliant and there was a good footpath between Ashcroft and the proposed new play area.  With regard to the phasing of the development he noted that the Tatworth Road route would be opened up as soon as possible to alleviate the junction on Forton Road.  He commented that there were still issues with regard to the infrastructure and road layout  ...  view the full minutes text for item 129.