Agenda and minutes
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held on 15th February 2022. The draft minutes can be viewed at: https://modgov.southsomerset.gov.uk/ieDocHome.aspx?bcr=1
The minutes of the Regulation Committee (Informal) meeting held on 15th February 2022, copies of which had been circulated, were agreed as a correct record and would be signed by the Chairman.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Jason Baker, David Recardo and Malcom Cavill.
Declarations of Interest
In accordance with the Council's current Code of Conduct (as amended 26 February 2015), which includes all the provisions relating to Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (DPI), personal and prejudicial interests, Members are asked to declare any DPI and also any personal interests (and whether or not such personal interests are also "prejudicial") in relation to any matter on the Agenda for this meeting.
There were no Declarations of Interest.
Public Question Time
There were no questions from members of the public.
Planning Application 21/03369/REM - Land Os 5439 Part, Townsend Green, Henstridge, Templecombe, Somerset, BA8 0RG PDF 662 KB
Proposal: Reserved matters application for approval of appearance, landscaping, layout and scale, following outline approval 17/03029/OUT for construction of 130 homes, sustainable drainage infrastructure, open space and play areas, internal roads, paths and parking, landscaping and associated plant and infrastructure.
The Specialist – Principal Planner presented the report and explained the reason why the application had been referred to the Regulation Committee following a resolution to refuse the application by the Area East Committee on 13th April 2022.
She also explained that a Highways representative was unable to attend the meeting and referred to a statement received from the Highways Authority, as set out in full in the agenda report. In summary she confirmed that they considered the application to accord with the Somerset Parking Strategy and considers an objection on parking levels to be unreasonable and unsustainable.
However she explained that following the Area East Committee and comments received the applicant had amended the original plan to now include additional visitor’s parking spaces and that some of the proposed garages have been altered to car ports.
With the aid of slides she then proceeded to show the site and proposed plans. She also highlighted:
· A diversion order would be required to divert a right of way that runs through the site.
· Reiterated that the principle of development and access had already been established and was not for consideration.
· A Section 106 agreement had already been secured to include the provision and maintenance of play facilities and open spaces, financial contributions for education, travel plan and on-site provision of 35% affordable housing.
· Referred to the key considerations being layout, scale, appearance and landscaping of the site.
· Reiterated that the Highways Authority considers that an objection on the grounds of parking levels is unreasonable and unsustainable.
· The council does not currently have a five year land supply and therefore in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) should be granted unless the impacts significantly and demonstrably outweighs the benefits.
· Other key matters including:
o Highway safety – a number of abjections received regarding condition 10 (Highways Improvements) of the outline permission, however this falls outside the scope of this reserved matters application.
o Drainage and Flood Risk – a sustainable drainage strategy was secured through condition 8 of the outline planning permission.
o Affordable and market Housing Mix
o Public Rights of Way
o Ecology and Landscaping
The Specialist – Principal Planner therefore concluded that after considering all of the responses and advice, as outlined in the agenda report, her proposal was to approve the application subject to the conditions as set out in the agenda report.
In response to a question, the Specialist- Principal Planner clarified the location and detail of the carports within the scheme and acknowledged the need to amend condition 10 to include the word ‘carport’ and reference to retain as carports.
A member of the Henstridge Parish Council spoke in objection to the application. His comments included:
· Believed this scheme was being imposed on ... view the full minutes text for item 44.
Date of next meeting
The next scheduled meeting of the Regulation Committee (Informal) will be held on Tuesday 21st June 2022 at 10.00am. However this meeting will only take place if there is business to conduct.
Members noted the date of the next meeting.